Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Storms & Troubles - DN


Someone once asked, when was I going to stop talking about storms and troubles so much. I said when I quit going through them. 
I pray these small devotions are a blessing. 
I am grateful for God's grace and presence that brings me through. 
Taking Pleasures in the Bad Times
2 Cor 12:10
I) Paul's Purpose: for Christ Sake
Much hinges today on the reasons and purposes for our actions and ministries. 
Some labor for the crowds, those that operate for the crowns, they want to wear a crown so others can see the results. Our goal should be to labor for Christ sake. 
If what you are doing is not for Christ sake, when adversity and change come you will find a place to quit or be entwined with frustration and bitterness. There's nothing worse, than a person trying to minister whose frustrated and bitter. 
II) Paul's Pleasures: (The gratification of the senses or of the mind;)
Af first, this seems like a misprint. These elements Paul listed, infirmities,reproaches,persecution and distress, are not pleasurable, unless you make up your mind and take pleasure. It's what you make of it or take from them. 
Webster shines some light on the word take, he said it denotes:
In a general sense, to get hold or gain possession of a thing in almost any manner, either by receiving it when offered, or by using exertion to obtain it. 
Instead of these controlling him, he takes these and control them.
What a challenge before us. 
III) Paul's Power: When I am weak, then am I made strong...
Strength for the trials and testings come not from the person, but from God's provision. Never will you be brought into something, with out having the men's to get through it. 
This Power comes from God's Grace vs 9
This Power comes from God's Gift: 9b 
You see the Power of God's son is given unto us and it rest upon us.
My the power that's available for those who, posses God's son and His grace that is upon us. 
In essence He's saying, if these infirmities brings the power of Christ on my life, I'll not run from them, I'll take them and glory in them.
George Matheson, the well-known blind preacher of Scotland, once said, "My dear God, I have never thanked You for my thorns. I have thanked you a thousand times for my roses but not once for my thorns. I have always looked forward to the place where I will be rewarded for my cross, but I have never thought of my cross as a present glory itself.
"Teach me, O Lord, to glory in my cross. Teach me the value of my thorns. Show me how I have climbed to You through the path of pain. Show me it is through my tears I have seen my rainbows.
RevDN

No comments:

Post a Comment