Saturday, September 29, 2018

His song in the night - JC

Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me... Psalm 42:8
I have had a good day. It was a busy day with a variety of tasks. My attention was required to our mission work in Honduras and to our upcoming trip to the Galilee region of Israel, my sermon preparation for Sunday and paper work stemming from the Eminent Domain order by the state. My day culminated visiting a dear friend and church member that has essentially been confined to a bed for over a year. We visited and shared pleasant conversation about the Lord and the church. We spoke of his progress and the hopes for the future. We prayed together, exchanged goodbyes and I started home. It was about 7:35 and the sun was setting in a beautiful display of color. Although it was a peaceful and exquisite site I was tired, not feeling well and looking forward to being home. The longer the evening wore on the more restless I became. Feeling worse I took some ibuprofen and laid down hoping for sleep. As has been the case for months sleep evaded me as my mind turned rapidly on the pressing situation that has dominated our thoughts and prayers for over five months. I tried to redirect my thoughts to my sermon for Sunday, to my “to do” list but regardless of my effort my thoughts circled back to all that is affecting the future of our congregation. I picked up my phone and open my digital Bible to Psalm 42:8. The glow from the screen was lighting up the darkness of our room while the Word was lighting up my heart. After reading these words:
“Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me...”
I immediately began to think of a song my dad use to sing so often. The song was “God Leads Us Along”. It was written by G. A. Young in 1903. Mr. Young was born, lived and died in relative obscurity.
Alfred B. Smith authored a book entitled “Treasury Of Hymn Histories.” In that book he tells the story of George Young and his great song. Here is a excerpt from the book.
George was a carpenter, and a preacher of the gospel. Often his income was so small he had difficulty supporting his wife and family. Even so, he kept on diligently serving the Lord.

Finally, after a great deal of effort and years of sacrifice, the Youngs were able to move into a small house they had built for themselves. All were delighted with the new place, but tragedy soon overtook them. While George was away holding meetings in another community, some men who were hostile to the gospel George preached set fire to the Young’s home burning it to the ground.

Out of that experience he wrote the song, “God Leads Us Along.” It is a testimony to his faith in God, in spite of this severe trial.
Here are the words to that song that started playing in my mind:
In shady, green pastures, so rich and so sweet
God leads His dear children along
Where the water’s cool flow bathes the weary one’s feet
God leads His dear children along
Some through the waters, some through the flood
Some through the fire, but all through the blood
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song
In the night season and all the day long
Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright
God leads His dear children along
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night
God leads His dear children along
Away from the mire, and away from the clay
God leads His dear children along
Away up in glory, eternity’s day
God leads His dear children along
Some through the waters, some through the flood
Some through the fire, but all through the blood
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song
In the night season and all the day long
Praise The Lord!
There is an interesting postscript to this story. Nearly 40 years after Young wrote his great song, hymn writer Haldor Lillenas decided to track down George Young’s widow, and find out more if he could. He eventually got an address in a small town and, driving there, he stopped at a gas station to ask for directions. When the attendant saw the address, he said, “Why sir, that’s the County Poor House up the road about three miles. And mister, when I say poor house, I really mean poor house!”
Not knowing what to expect, Lillenas made his way there. He found Mrs. Young, a tiny, elderly woman, in surroundings that were far from congenial. However, she radiated the joy of the Lord, and spoke of how He’d guided her and her husband over all the years. Then, she exclaimed, “Dr. Lillenas, God led me here!” I’m so glad He did, for you know, about every month someone comes into this place to spend the rest of their days….So many of them don’t know my Jesus. I’m having the time of my life introducing them to my Lord! Dr. Lillenas, isn’t it wonderful how God leads!”

Well it is after 3 am now and I’m thankful I couldn’t sleep. I have had sweet thoughts of my dad singing this song, while reliving the story behind its origin. It has helped me put into perspective the opportunities and obstacles, the joys and the defeats, the twists and the turns ahead. 

So whether it’s in “shady green pastures” or through “the valley in darkest of night” I am more than grateful- “God leads His dear children along.”

Rev JC


No comments:

Post a Comment