Thursday, December 24, 2020

the baby in that manger - SV

 Every single person stands alone at Bethlehem's manger, and every person is confronted with a decision.

Every person. Even me. Even you.
Your decision has nothing to do with your church history, attendance, or participation. It has nothing to do with whether you own a Bible or read it, or have ever read it. It has nothing to do with your politics, your lifestyle, your economics, or your education. It has nothing to do with how you have lived or decisions that you’ve made – perhaps, like some of mine, regrettable. It has nothing to do with how you’ve treated other decision-makers - good or bad. Your decision has nothing to do with how much religious education you have. Your decision has nothing to do with what ‘mama and them’ believe. None of that matters when you stand alone at the manger - faced with a decision only you can make.
Sadly, you can only make this decision for yourself. You can't make it for the ones you love. They stand alone at the manger.
“Do I believe this baby, Jesus, is God with us – the living God, and that He loves me as if I am the only person alive on this planet? Do I believe in this baby’s miraculous conception, his life of love and service, his sacrificial death, and his rise from the grave? Do I believe his mission was to erase all my selfishness and secure my life today and forever in love, peace, and joy?”
The answer is yes or no. There is no maybe.
This is a decision about risk and reward, and every human must and will make it for themselves – even abstaining from making a decision is itself a decision. Abstaining is, sadly, “no.” There are no excuses - it is simply yes or no. You can even hear it, like tick-tock.
If you say yes, “I believe Jesus is who He says He is, and that He came for me,” then you have joined those of us who are Christmas people. Life remains hard, but we are grounded with one another in love, hope, peace, and joy. You will see things with new and fresh eyes - you will focus on the long-game of love and service not what you are having for supper today. I welcome you to send me a private message. I’ll help you answer questions, and for questions, I can’t answer, I’ll point you to others that I trust.
If you said no, that is absolutely your right. I respect it. Even God respects it. Please understand the consequences- life is harder, lonelier, fearful, angrier and eternity is dark.
And, just know that the baby in that manger will never give up on you. As long as you live, that baby will call out for you to believe and say yes to Him.
Merry Christmas friends, Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment